You all know that INEC has postponed 2019 General Election with 1 week, as a result of that, we have compile details on how the card reader is been operated to enable you refresh your memory before the new date set for the Election.
1. Mode of Operating the card reader
a) A voter shall present himself at a Polling Unit (PU) with his/her PVC for accreditation
b) APO I at the PU shall scan the card and the voter's fingerprint.
c) The scanner shall compare both fingerprints, if there is a match, indicates that the bearer of the card owns the card, and the converse if not true;
d) The scanner shall store the VIN of the scanned card and the authentication status;
e) It takes less than l0 seconds to authenticate a voter;
f) The device shall boldly show the total number of authentication at the press of a single button.
2. Turning on the Device:
a. To tum on/off the device, press and hold the power button for 3 seconds. Make sure the battery is charged and properly installed before turning on the device. The power button is the last red button
b, If the battery is low, the red indicator will flash. In such cases, please charge the battery as soon as possible.
3. The Authentication Screen
When the device is turned on, the Authentication screen in is displayed where the user is expected to input his/her name and password. There are 2 types of users: The “Admin” and “User”. The various users have different roles on the system. The "Admin” is allowed to setup the device, add/delete a user and provide support as the case may be while the “User” who is the APO 1 is only allowed to authenticate the PVC by reading it with the device and requesting voters to place their fingerprint on the Fingerprint window to verify ownership of the PVC.
- The Login Button , when clicked allows user login into the system when the right user name and password is supplied.
- The Help Button when clicked displays information about the use of the device.
For first login, the default username is “user" and the password is “123”. This can be changed. On clicking the LOGIN button, the Dashboard is displayed
4. The Dashboard
The dashboard is where the interface between the User and the Device ' starts. The Dashboard has the following icons:
1. VERIFICATION icon: is used to verify the authenticity of the Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) as presented by the voter.
2. QUERY icon: is used to query the database to know the number of successful and failed accredited voters in the PU
3. COMMUNICATE icon: is used to know the number of authenticated PVCs to the server at the end of the exercise.
4. INFORMATION icon: shows infomation about the software on the device.
5. CLOSE-V icon: is used to close the application after accreditation. lt displays the total number of voters accredited, including the number of successful and failed accreditation. This should be clicked only at the close of accreditation.
6. LOGOUT icon: logs out the user from the device.
5. The Voter Verification Window:
On clicking the “VERIFICATION” icon on the Dashboard, the Voters Verification Window is displayed. This window is used to authenticate the PVC by placing it under the device
6. Charging The Smart Card Reader
The device has 320mAh battery which can last for 8 -10 hours when fully charged. The device hibernates when not in use to save the battery life.. To charge the device, the charger is connected to the USB interface on the bottom of the device
7. Turning Off The Device
To turn off the device, press the Power Button for 3 seconds and select shutdown in the popup menu to turn off the device. During turn on/off, the INEC logo and music will be played on the screen.
8. Care of the Card Reader Device
a) Keep the device clean and dry to avoid corrosion of electronic board.
b) Keep the device away from excessive cold or hot environment
c) Hitting or shaking the device could damage the circuit board. It should be handled gently.
d) ln event of breakdown. please do not disassemble the device. Shut down and contact the Administrator