As an NPowerNG Volunteer, I have discovered that volunteering is the best way to keep self physically and mentally sound. Been in the labour market for a long period of time may cause a graduate to become frustrated which might lead to having low self esteem. This was the story of many Npower volunteers before they were engage as assistant teachers, health extension workers and Agriculture extension workers. Thanks to the FG social intervention programme for giving young Nigerian youth opportunity to serve as volunteers.
They can now hold their head up high and their thinking patterns has change for rendering services as an Npower volunteer to their communities.
What is Volunteering?
According to Wikipedia, Volunteering is generally considered an altruistic activity where an individual or group provides services for no financial or social gain "to benefit another person, group or organization". Volunteering is also renowned for skill development and is often intended to promote goodness or to improve human quality of life.
Sometimes people get paid for volunteering services. However the experience gain from volunteering service is key.
Below are five reasons why volunteering helps:
- Volunteering through social connection helps us interact with others in ways that are valuable and helps us feel appreciated.
- Volunteering can give you a sense of usefulness, purpose and can also help you interact better with others.
- Volunteering can help you see life from a different perspective: through the life of others.
- Volunteering can boost your self esteem and psychological well being.
- Volunteering can create a change in thought patterns.