In order to keep Nigerians across the country safe, the Federal Government has advised Nigerians on how to protect themselves from the New disease outbreak in China called "Coronavirus".
Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are normally transmitted between animals and people. A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain of the virus that has not been previously identified in humans. Some coronaviruses can be transmitted from person to person, usually after close contact with an infected patient, for example, in a householdor health care setting.
In China. Beyond Wuhan, cases have been confirmed in other cities in China; Guangdong, Beijing and Shanghai. As at the 21st of January, five cases have been confirmed in four other countries, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea and the United States of America, all with a travel history to China.According to FG, the Federal Ministry of Health through NCDC and its partners are fully committed to strengthening our preparedness and response to infectious disease outbreaks. Information will be shared with the public as it becomes available.
How To Protect Yourself Against Coronavirus:
To reduce the risk of spread of coronavirus, members of the public are advised to adhere to the following measures:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap under running water
- Cover your mouth and nose properly with handkerchief or tissue paper when sneezing and/or coughing. You may also cough into your elbow if a handkerchief is not available.
- Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing
- Avoid seIf-medication, report to the nearest health facility when you experience any of the above mentioned symptoms
- Healthcare workers are always advised to observe standard infection prevention and control measures when attending to patients and take a travel history.