The JADS Program is open to applicants from AfDB member countries with relevant professional experience and a history of supporting their countries' development efforts who are applying to a graduate degree program in energy development and related discipline. The program does not provide scholarships to any other graduate degree program.
The scholarship program provides tuition, a monthly living stipend, roundtrip airfare, health insurance, and travel allowance.
Upon completion of their studies, the beneficiary scholars are expected to return to their home countries to apply and disseminate their newly acquired knowledge and skills, and contribute to the promotion of sustainable development of their countries.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY
The program is open to those who have gained admission to an approved Masters degree course at a Japanese partner university. Candidates should be 35 years old or younger, in good health; with a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the energy area or related area, and have a superior academic record. Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to return to their home country to contribute to its economic and social development.
Details on Eligibility Criteria are provided in that call’s Application Guidelines, and these detailed eligibility criteria are strictly adhered to. No exceptions are made.
Broadly speaking, nationals of African countries must:
- Be a national of a AfDB member country
- Be in good health;
- Hold a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree in the energy area (or related field) earned at least 1 years prior to the application deadline date
- Have 1 years or more of recent development-related experience after earning a Bachelor (or equiva|ent) degree
- Be accepted unconditionally to enroll in the upcoming academic year in at least one of the JADS partner universities for a Master's degree
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his or her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- JADS does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of all types of appointments of the African Development Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term "close relative" defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, HaIf-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
*Please note: All eligibility criteria are strictly adhered to. No exceptions are made. Eligibility criteria will not change during an open call for applications. However, this information is subject to change between the close of one application process and the opening of the next.
The JADS Scholarship provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- Economy class air travel between your home country and the host university at the start of the study program and immediately following the end of the scholarship period.
- Tuition for a graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance usually obtained through the university.
- A monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books.
For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for research and thesis preparation. In special circumstances, computer literacy, preparatory language and other similar courses may be covered under the scholarship. Please note all JADS scholarships cover the duration of the graduate program or two years, whichever is less.
The JADS Scholarship does not cover:
- VISA application(s) costs
- Expenses to bring and/or support scholar's family members;
- Extra-curricular courses or training;
- Language training not provided by the graduate program;
- Additional travel during the course of the study program;
- Expenses related to supplementary educational materials, field trips, participation in workshops/seminars, or internships; or
- Educational equipment such as computers.
Note: The JADS Scholarship may only supplement, and does not duplicate, any other source of financial support/fellowship you might have. If selected as a finalist or if you are awarded a scholarship, you must inform the JADS if you have other sources of scholarship funds. The JADS stipend may be withdrawn completely or partially if during the scholarship period the program has evidence of additional sources of support.
IMPORTANT T0 NOTE
- No separate application to AfDB is necessary.
- Only candidates who have been offered admission and endorsed by the university will be considered for the JADS Program.
- The JADS does not cover expenses for the scholar's family; extracurricular courses or training; additional travel during the course of the study program; additional expenses related to supplementary educational materials, field trips, or participation in workshops, seminars, or internships while at the university or purchase of educational equipment such as computers.
- Completion of the application form or admission by the JADS partner university does not mean that you have been accepted for a scholarship; accordingly you should not take any action with respect to your current employment or otherwise, until you have been informed by AfDB that you have been awarded a scholarship.
Application deadline for April 2020 intake: August 31, 2019
1. Applicant completes JADS application form
2. Applicant sends documents (application form, university transcripts and certificate, CV, professional references and research proposal), to the JADS Secretariat for first screening through [email protected]
3. JADS Secretariat sends shortlist of candidates to selected Japanese universities
4. Universities does second screening and share selected students with JADS Secretariat
5. JADS Secretariat recommends awardees based on its selection criteria to the Japanese Executive Director for approval.
6. AfDB contacts selected awardees, and informs partner universities.
For more information on how to apply, visit: AFDB Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program 2019/2020Main page
Note: 2019/2020 application and intake is only for Japanese Universities ( Application for African Universities opens soon)